Full-Time Finance Associate at UNDP in Abuja Nigeria
UNDP Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position of Human Resources Associate to be based at Abuja.
Job Title: Finance Associate
Location : Abuja
Additional Category Democratic Governance
Type of Contract : Service Contract
Post Level : SB-3
Languages Required : English
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
- Under the guidance and supervision of the Project Director and direct supervisor, the Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in DGD and Country Office (CO) and transparent utilization of financial resources.
- The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
- The incumbent is also responsible for the monitoring of implementing partners which are contracted by UNDP and assist DGD Finance Team in the budget management of the DGD Project.
- In close coordination with his/her direct supervisor, the incumbent is expected to directly involve in day to day finance processes including payment process, advance & settlement process, monitoring including the field visits to the CSOs; hold discussions with key stakeholders for contracting issues and project implementation, as well as preparing a report with recommendation regarding the progress of project implementation and/or recommendation to process payments; budget management and expenditure review.
- Promoting a client-oriented approach that is consistent with UNDP rules and regulations is expected to be exercised by the incumbent.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Administration of finance processes (accounting and administrative support to finance Unit); budgets management and expenditure analysis
- Contract management, monitoring and reporting.
1.) To ensure implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- DGD Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
2.) To ensure administration of finance processes; budget management and expenditure review of DGD project focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of payment vouchers with complete supporting documents
- Assist DGD Team in following up bank transfer / cheques issuance to ensure it is processed in a timely manner
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, payroll; MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Timely accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues
- Assist the supervisor in preparation and modifications of budgets for DGD projects according to the approved work-plan and follow-up with HQs on ASL
- Assist the supervisor in preparing financial update and status of financial resources of the DGD Project
- Regular review of DGD expenditure including expenditure analysis and propose adjustment / reclassification as necessary
3.) To ensure contract management, monitoring and reporting focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Liaise with the Service Centre at the UNDP Country Office (SC) in obtaining the copies of new signed contracts
- Liaise with the CSOs to ensure the vendor form is properly completed and submitted to UNDP for vendor creation in ATLAS
- Arrange and conduct the briefing meetings with NGOs upon contract signing / prior to contract implementation
- Maintain and update on a timely basis the contract tracking sheet and filing system of contracts both in hard-copies and electronic files (share-point)
- Monitor progress of planned activities and work plans, and progress on achievement of results (outputs and outcome/objective) as a basis for payment
- Ensure that payments are in line with approved expenditure and have adequate supporting documentations
- Review and evaluate financial information and status to ensure the appropriate and accountable use of fund to achieve contract outputs, using the contract and UNDP’s monitoring and evaluation tools as main reference
- Conduct field visits as necessary for contract implementation to ensure compliance with UNDP and donor standards
- Prepare an assessment report for each contract/field visit/progress reports received from contractors
- Identify issues, challenges, and lessons learned to provide recommendations on corrective actions on contract implementation
- Perform other tasks as assigned to him/her as requested by supervisor relating to financial matters.
1.) Corporate Competencies:
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Functional Competencies
2.) Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP Practice Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
3.) Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, making transactions, reporting.
- Sound knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
4.) Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- UNDP Accounting and Finance Training and certification
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of progressively responsible finance experience is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
Application Closing Date
10th September, 2012
How To Apply
Interested and Qualified Applicants should
Click Here To Apply
Disclaimer: At Jetheights.com, we take necessary precaution to verify the authenticity of our job adverts, we also encourage our users to be more careful when dealing with third party sites or clients who advertise on our platform, we're in no way affiliated to any of the companies.
With thousands of Jobs posted on our platform Weekly, we are indeed No 1 for authentic Jobs but we can only do our best. Jetheights advises you to never pay any amount of money to any recruiter or agent for job aid. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. BE CAREFUL!!!