Full-Time Job Vacancy at World Bank
The World Bank, Country Office in Nigeria is looking for a highly organized, energized and experienced professional, capable of operating effectively in a very demanding fast-paced environment to serve as a local Procurement Specialist.
The procurement services, in Africa Region of the World Bank, are provided by a Procurement – West (AFTPW) and Procurement – East (AFTPE) that is part of the Africa Core Operations Services Sector. (AFTOS). AFTOS also includes, Development Effectiveness (AFTDE), Financial Management – East (AFTME), Financial Management – West (AFTMW) and Safeguards (AFTSG) .
The Procurement Specialist will be located in the World Bank Country Office in Abuja, Nigeria to support Bank’s operations in Nigeria and in other countries assigned from time to time. S/he will also work on country procurement system improvements. The work implies frequent interaction with Managers and Technical Specialists in the sector and country management units and staff from other agencies, donors, consultants and borrowers. More specifically, working together with other procurement specialists in the same country office, and under the guidance and supervision of the Lead Procurement Specialist (Procurement Hub Coordinator) based in the Nigeria country office, and under the management of Regional Procurement Manager – West (RPM) based in Washington.
- Job TypeFull Time
- Min QualificationMBA/MSc/MA
- Experience5 years
Duties and Accountabilities:
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
• Provide procurement support during project preparation; and project implementation (including prior and post reviews of all procurement documents and decisions for selected projects in Nigeria, and other countries as required from time to time, of the projects portfolio financed by the Bank;
• Assist the Borrower in procurement capacity building activities including support during country procurement assessment and the procurement reform process;
• Work on procurement matters across sectors in the performance of the Bank’s fiduciary and service functions, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from senior procurement staff;
• Review and handle the technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement (in consultation with Legal and Policy departments as necessary) at all stages of the project cycle;
• Provide operational advice to clients and Bank staff on concepts, policies and procedures for international and local procurement;
• Participate in missions as procurement expert on projects; assess procurement implications of project design, evaluate institutional capacity of borrowers and develop suitable procurement plans; conduct prior and post reviews of Bank-financed contracts;
• Participate in country procurement assessments; prepare background analysis; collaborate on developing appropriate public procurement legislation and practices;
• Negotiate and resolve difficult procurement issues with Borrower agencies and handle questions/ complaints from senior officials and contractors on bidding and award issues;
• Prepare a range of procurement-related documents and reports; and providing guidance and training to junior procurement staff.
• Under the guidance of the Procurement Hub Coordinator, review and handle procurement-related complaints and misprocurement cases, and liaise with the Department of Institutional Integrity (INT) on cases relating to fraud and corruption in procurement and contracting process.
• Monitor and ensure compliance with Bank’s procurement fiduciary policies and performance against Bank service standards for procurement under projects in the Nigeria portfolio.
A Masters degree with a major in a relevant discipline (e.g. Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce) and relevant training in procurement work.
• At least five (5) years of direct relevant work experience as Procurement Specialist or alternatively, having had responsibilities with a substantial content of his/her position in the procurement area in or outside the World Bank;
• Good knowledge of all concepts and principles of and approaches to international procurement, and of public procurement systems;
• Knowledge and understanding of technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement at all phases of Bank lending operations;
• Demonstrated analytical clarity, problem-solving skills and negotiating skills with ability to balance project objectives and procurement requirements with client needs;
• Task/ Project management skills;
• Strong communication skills in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues, both orally and in writing, and excellent listening skills;
• Ability to deal sensitively with a multi-cultural environment and build effective business relationships with clients and colleagues within a matrix management environment;
• Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams with a matrix management environment;
• Exceptional degree of integrity, judgment and tact in handling the most sensitive, diverse and confidential material.
• Understanding of Bank business objectives, policies and practices related to project/sector and critical links to procurement is desirable.
• experience in public procurement reforms will be an advantage;
Procurement Principles – Possesses solid knowledge of public procurement principles, regulations and approaches to international procurement with proven ability to independently provide well researched analyses of complex procurement issues and problems.
Bank Procurement Policies – Possesses solid knowledge of Bank procurement policies and procedures and their application to Bank operations.
Procurement Transactions – Possesses broad experience in procurement process and planning, including bidding documents, evaluation reports and contracts.
Procurement Under Bank Financed Operations – Has solid knowledge of technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement in Bank lending operations with ability to carry out capacity assessment, risk mitigation design plan and procurement arrangements for relatively non-complex operations.
Public Procurement Systems & Reform – Has knowledge and experience in the contribution to procurement AAA; familiar with main public procurement systems and PFM assessment tools used by the Bank.
Operational Project Management – Demonstrates broad knowledge of project management tools & methodologies; identifies key risks and mitigation measures; interprets background analysis and proposed solutions.
Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
Method of Application
Disclaimer: At Jetheights.com, we take necessary precaution to verify the authenticity of our job adverts, we also encourage our users to be more careful when dealing with third party sites or clients who advertise on our platform, we're in no way affiliated to any of the companies.
With thousands of Jobs posted on our platform Weekly, we are indeed No 1 for authentic Jobs but we can only do our best. Jetheights advises you to never pay any amount of money to any recruiter or agent for job aid. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. BE CAREFUL!!!